Sunday, March 29, 2009

Out of Bounds

Skiing Out of Bounds
Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
Teton Range
March 27/ 28th, 2009


The Matt Show


The JHMR Helicopter

I had a pass left to use at the Resort in Jackson before they closed. Since they were getting hammered with new snow, I figured it was a good time to go. Matt had some days to burn as well, so he agreed to come come with and introduce me to just a little of the backcountry skiing available outside of the resort boundaries. There's lots of traversing and side-stepping required to get to it all, so I decided to bring my skis. I haven't skied much this year. It was obvious.


Rendezvous Mountain and the top of the tram, in the background, from somewhere around Four Pines.


After a run down Four Pines Matt thought my snow plow turns were looking good enough to try an icy couloir. I think he was trying to put me out of my misery, or his. Ha! Nearly worked.


Dropping into Zero Gravity Couloir, working on my survival skiing. I only plunged a hundred yards at uncontrollable, break-neck speeds once.



Matt survives the ice and makes the rest look easy as he bombs through the couloir.





Bombs away!



Traversing our way over to Pinedale Canyon, where the best powder was hiding.


Dropping into a nice bowl above Pinedale canyon.


A look back at some of our lines.


Matt launches off a cornice.


Sticks the landing...




and rides the pow!


Power turns... or something.



Scoping out another huck.


Launching!


Where's Matt?


Oh! There he is. Right on!



The end of a great day.

We wrapped things up around 6pm or so that first day. After the lifts closed, we broke out the skins and clobbered some more. The snow was awesome!


Day Two:

Matt climbs up the Headwall as we make our way over to Granite Canyon.



The snow was great over there, and the lines were huge.



Matt positions himself for take off.



All clear for lift off.



Lift off!!




Matt tears it up as we get suck further down a couloir into Granite Canyon.



I'm the black dot in the middle of the couloir.



Dunno what this one is called, but it was long and fun and full of great pow.



I ride skis like I ride bikes and horses.


One last look back at a terrific run.


Pretty cool scenery on the big long traverse out of Granite Canyon.


Lots and lots of this inorder to get out of Granite Canyon and back to the resort. We did it a couple of times. Good stuff! Every bit as much work as skinning.



Some dude on skis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home