Sunday, February 08, 2009

Jewel's Bowl

Jewel's Bowl
DuNoir Special Management Area
Absaroka Range, Shoshone NF

February 7th, 2009


All my usual partners in pow were busy this weekend, so I was forced to drag out my secret weapon... the Mandinator, aka- powder assassin extraordinaire! Actually, I think maybe she felt sorry for me and decided to humor me. Plus, she really was itching to put some more miles on her new skis. Either way, it turned out to be a great day!

We dropped the kids off at day care at 8am, something we've never really done before. They loved it- they never get to go anymore since mom is at home now. Tally misses her pals there. I think they tore it up as much as we did. We picked them up about 4:30pm. Minus the drive time, that gave us a good four hours in the backcountry. When you're short on time, it's pretty handy to be able to just drive right up to terrain like this. Closing it to snowmobiles, like some groups are advocating, would make adventures like this, for folks like us, pretty hard to come by.



Sled Head Tinker, decked in Artic Cat green! I think every one just figured her sled broke down and I was giving her a ride. Ha!



After an 8 mile ride into all the way up into Jewel's Bowl, we parked the machine and started skinning...


Going up.


Mandy earns her turns.



That's my wife!


Right on!



The Mandy Movie


Mandy was hoping that the view through rose colored goggles would make the climb less painful. Such an optomist!




De-skinning, preparing to drop, Bonneville Pass and Austin Peak in the background.



A Powder Assassin at work!


Skinning up for more.



Na naa nana nana! Go green lightening go!



Good stuff!


After a couple of runs Mandy took a break and watched me go for a lap...


Making my way up.


Suprisingly good powder up pretty high even.



Taking aim.


Down at bottom again, after a great little shot!


Looking back up at some of our lines.



A panoramic view of Jewel's Bowl.



A few hours went by in a flash! Time to saddle up and head back. We picked up the kids a little after 4pm. We were showered and munching pizza by 5:30pm. Great day!




Tallulah and Seamus had time to get dressed up for dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home