Tuesday, December 30, 2008

First Turns of Season

Togwotee Pass Turns
West Angle Mt
December 27th, 2008

Finally, my skis got a taste of some great, dangerous powder, for the first time this season.

On the way to Jackson we stopped at West Angle Mt to get our skis wet. With the avalanche conditions extreme and high, my plan was just to tour around a bit and make sure all of our equipment was working. We had made plans to ski the resort in Jackson with family and friends the next couple of days. Wouldn't be right to slap on skis at the resort for the first turns of the season. It would be Mandy's first time out in two years (since Seamus was hatched). We picked out some low angle terrain right off the road and saddled up for a skin.

Going up, the snow felt punchy. Two feet of powder on top of a crust that was giving with another foot or so of snow under it. As we got into steeper terrain (20 degrees) I got some cracking. Definitely not a snow pack I wanted to monkey with much. When options under 25 degrees ran out, we decided to make turns. Just a couple of short runs.

On my first turn, I got a huge "Woommpff!" Good thing we were on terrain that wasn't steep enough to slide. With the snow so deep, it was hard to get enough speed up to make turns, but I got a few wiggles in. They qualified. Mandy got some too.

Later that day when we got to Jackson, I learned of an inbounds avalanche that killed a guy at the resort. Sunday, the day after that event, I rode some unbelievable powder- but it did feel a little iffy. On Monday, after a foot or more of wet powder landed in high country, I found myslef riding more incredible, but dense, creamy, kind of slabby powder at the resort. I remember thinking- hhmmm. I can't believe this is open. This stuff feels like it could go big. When I got to the bottom, all the lifts were closed. I learned of several inbounds avalanches. The Headwall went, and took out the new restaraunt. After that, I got my lift ticket refunded and headed to Snow King. I knew they wouldn't open anything for the rest of the day.

Up to now, that's been the extent of my ski season. Scored lots of good turns on the splitboard and skis- but all at resorts really (except for the brief road side expedition by West Angle). Avi conditions are so dangerous right now, there's not much else to do.

The Winds may be good. I hope to take a voyage up there soon (maybe tomorrow). Snow conditions are usually a totally different deal up there.

Here's some photos of our road side training exercise at West Angle on Togwotee...


Mandy prepares to drop some fluff- for the first time in two years!



Following my tracks, to keep some mo up, she demonstrates perfect snow plow technique!


It wasn't all snow plow though!


Back up at the top, deskinning for round two.


Letting it rip!


After a few woops of joy, she sails out the bottom!


Is that a powder grin?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home