Sunday, December 24, 2006

Angle Mountain Pow Pow

Angle Mountain
Absaroka Range, Shoshone NF
December 22nd, 2006

Mandy waits for the chair lift after her first blow down Angle Mt.

We woke up to snow Friday morning at my folks place on the East Fork. The weather was bad for jumping horses, but great for skiing. Granny Hammy said they'd watch our kiddo if we watched her's. Deal!! Tara, home from college, dug out some snowboard she said she hadn't used for a few years, threw it in the truck and joined Mandy and I for a run up to Angle Mountain. Along the way we met Chuck and Karla. Five shreaders and two Skidoos later, we were armed to poach some of Togwotee Lodge's Cat ski powder. Given the snow conditions, the crew and weather, it felt like a good day to ride the south faces of Angle Mt. So, we did.


About half way down her first run Mandy stops to size up her next line.


Then she turns on her powder rockets and lets it rip! Whahooo!!


Tara said she hadn't been on a board for a few years, and even then it was mostly on the resort. I think she said she snow-shoed up Angle Mt. a couple of times, along time ago. I thought, hmmm- this much powder... could be a slog fest if she's not used to it. Guess we'd see....


A few years huh?

Turns out, Tara's a little powder junky. She ripped it up, probably better than me. Yup, I'd say we scored the better deal swappin kids with Granny Hammy, at least today. Ha! Thanks G-Hammy!!




Tara shreads it up. With the help of Skidoo skins for climbing, she got five runs in.


Tara shows off- doing flip turns for the camera! It was awesome pow!


Karla surfs it up! She got gobs of runs in too. All of them looked like this.


Karla rides more pow!


On top of Angle Mt. peeling off the Skidoo skins, getting ready for another run.


Chuck and Tara tear it up!


Shreader girls Karla and Tara work on figure eights! Ha!



Chuck begins to drop one of our last runs. Chuck sacrificed a few runs to operate the chairlift. Thanks Chuck!


Shad got some pow too. Enough to justify goggles. Great stuff!!!


After a long day of riding powder, back at the ranch, Mandy enjoys a visit from one of Santa's little helpers. We enjoyed a great dinner to top off a fine day of powder. Thanks Granny Hammy and Pappa Ham!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I dig your site the pictures and narrative are excellent.I also enjoy ripping in the backcountry on my board using the Yamaha chairlift.In addittion I am also a proud father.However unlike you I ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET. The only reason I am telling you this is because I had a freak accident happen last Saturday the 6th. While doing backcountry north of Steambaot Springs where we live, in an attempt to do a six to eight foot drop on a safe landing I rode over a fallen tree barely covered with snow consequently loosing my edge, and landing upside down on top of my head. I have been snowboarding for 11 years this was not a reckless move, but marginal coverage in a backcountry situation caused me to have a horrible wreck. After closer inspection of my helmet tonight 1/12/07 I realized there was a deep gouge and a nickel sized crack/shatter. I obviously hit something hard that was also barely covered. I am fairly confident without my helmet I would be paralyzed or possibly dead. I don't mean to be nosey but I am also a commited father and outdoorsman and felt compelled to share my story with you guys. Thanks, Matt. Have a good season

7:46 PM  
Blogger Shad Hamilton said...

Excellent wisdom. Thanks for sharing! My step sister was wearing my helmet this day, otherwise it would have been on my head. There have been plenty days though where I've slacked off on my helmet this season. Good to have a reminder. Thanks!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home