Sunday, November 26, 2006

Splitboards Trim Devil's Beard

Devil's Beard
Pinnacle Buttes above Jade Lakes and Brooks Lake
Absaroka Range, Shoshone NF
November 26th, 2006

Devil's Beard, from a distance.

Originally I set out Saturday to ski an entirely different area. However, nobody had punched a trail in there yet with snow machines, so I decided to try something different. I buzzed up to to Brooks lake and then kept going nearly up to the wilderness boundary- much closer than I thought I could get. I had always wanted to explore this area, I guess the timing and conditions were right for this weekend. My first day in, Saturday, I was solo. I took skis and waisted alot of time finding good route. The second day, Sunday, I went back with a couple of other folks and made much better time. Most of these pictures are from Sunday's trip.

The Devil's Beard closer up.

I wasn't sure what to call this specific area. I'm sure the bowl near by has a name, but I'm not sure what it is. I got to looking at pictures though, and I thought the pinnacles in combonation with the tree strip looked alot like a horned person with a beard (goatee of sorts)... thus I dubbed it the Devil's Beard- in case you're wondering.

On the way up I got a good look at a couloir I've been curious about. Turns out, access to it is not as difficult as I thought it would be. I think it just made it on my list of things to do this year.


Chuck and Karla skinning up. This was their first run for the season.



Chuck nears the top (left). A view of another good looking mountain from my perch at the top (right).


Time to ride. Somebody else has beard around hear too. Ha!


Karla surfs it up!


Chuck lets it rip!


What it looked like when we were all done with the first run of the day. Time for another...


In the spirit of Thanksgiving, Shad spreads his wings.



And does his impression of a turkey trot on powder.



Good stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home