Sunday, April 01, 2007

Beaver Rim

No Fools; April Turns on Beaver Rim
April 1st, 2007

Beaver Rim on approach from Riverton, up the sand draw highway.

Beaver Rim is a distinct bluff, kind of East of Lander and Riverton. It's mostly desert out there, but high desert I guess. Normally, I'm guessing most folks don't think of it as ski terrain. However, with the snow that we got earlier in the week- I wondered. In fact, I couldn't resist, the urge to earn some Beaver Rim turns was too much- I had to go have a look.


A closer look at Beaver Rim.

Since the weather was a bit iffy in the Winds and it was All Fool's day, I figured with the two feet of snow we got in Lander, that maybe there might be something good to ski on Beaver Rim. Turns out there was. No gargantuan powder runs, but lots of short, isothermic shots- even couloirs. Ha!

A look down on my car, as I boot pack up a ridge to scope out some terrain.


A view across a deep draw I was getting ready to ski into.


Poised for my first Beaver Rim run!


Weehoo! A little tight at the top (mostly cause I took the wrong line). Not too bad though- great snow!


A look down part of the gully I skied.


I chose a steeper slope with a cornice to drop for my second Beaver Rim run.


Yaahooooo!



This run was actually pretty fun. Plopping off the corning on to forty degrees up top to 30 down lower, on nice soft corn.



Now it was time for a short and steep Beaver Rim Couloir.


Good stuff!!


Gotta a few more turns in on the way back to the car.

After a couple of hours and a few runs, I decide to hop in the car and cruise over towards the other side of Beaver Rim (where the highway from Lander goes up it). Figured there might be some stuff there too.


Getting ready for my second Beaver Rim tour.


A look out across the desert toward the Windriver Range. Cloudy and windy up there today.



Decided to exercise my board for this tour. Found some nifty cornices to practice my hucking on.


Oh yea! I stuck it! The snow was perfect for this.




I found another cornice good for hucking. It was so good I did it a few times. I kept sticking my landings, I was feeling pretty cool. Cornice hucking on Beaver Rim! Who would've thought?


Some guy throwing himself off cornices on Beaver Rim.


Scored two in one run!


The first run on nice little shot off the highway.


The second run.


Three was good.


A look back at some of my runs from the car. After another couple of hours, I had my fill of Beaver Rim for the day. It was time to head home. Pretty fun day. It turned out to be a great place to practice hucking a dropping pretty technical little shots.


Back at home Tally got to play in the snow too...

Tally bites the head off a minature snowman. Yummy!!


Tally's reaction when I told her I skied Beaver Rim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home