Sunday, January 21, 2007

Skiing the Switchbacks in Sinks Canyon

Cross Country Skiing in Sinks Canyon
Wind River Mountain, Shoshone NF
January 21st, 2007

We got snow!

The night before this trip we got about 8-12 inches of snow down in Lander. Up the canyon a few miles, they had one to two feet of the good stuff. Perfect conditions for skiing the switchbacks. Just enough snow machine traffic for a trail, but not enough to make it too hard or bumpy. It was fantastic skiing!



Mandy helps Tallulah fasten her ski bindings.


Speedy Gonztinker smokes up the trail.


Sinks Canyon skier chick.


Shad and Tallullah demonstrate how deep the snow was.


Another Sinks Canyon skier chick. There everywhere!


One look at this run, and I had to try it. Even though I just had cross-country skis. I couldn't leave it to the high-markers. It was my duty to attempt turns. Should be interesting.


I went for it. Here's the view looking down on my cross country ski boot-pack trail.


Ooooheeee, it looked good!


It was too.

Nice light, deep pow. I wish I would have had my board or my AT skis. It was a little light on top, but man alive it got deep and good fast. I had a hard time keeping my tips up. Often I enjoyed a view like this (above) after one of my turns. Mandy and Tallulah were at the bottom (in between my ski tips) pretty much laughing their arses off as dad scored face shots on cross country skis. Not exactly the kind of face shots you brag about either.


Actually, I didn't do too bad considering I was using cross country skis. My last few turns actually felt and looked good. Ha!


Cross Country ski turns. I'm cool now.


Fun and games over, Mandy and Tallulah enjoy the cruise down.



One last look at the run I shot with my XC sticks. Click on it and you can see my tracks. Ha!
Great snow! Good trip, fun day! We're lucky to live somewheres with a backyard like this.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home