Saturday, April 15, 2006

Sublette Mountain Couloir: Part 2 North Side

Part 2:

The North Side Sublette Mountain Couloir

Like I mentioned in the prior posting, after I climbed the south facing couloir, I discovered another coulior up an over the gap. No one had dropped it yet, and the snow looked great.


Looking down the North Sublette Mt Couloir.

The sun came out after I dropped this, so most of the pics were taken after I had skiied and climbed back up it. I'm not even sure the snowboarders who dropped the south side new this was there. Judging by their tracks and piss puddles, they never even bothered to climb up through the gap to see what was on the other side. No bear instincts I guess.


This run definitely called for a pit before committing. My shear test got some Q1s, but the only one that would come out in a tap test was 20 cm deep (surface)- the rest was solid. I tossed some heavy blocks of snow out on the slope. Nothing. Looked like it was a go, though I made a couple of ski cuts to safe spots just in case. Then I went to work on pasting squiggles.



Hiking back up, after laying down a pretty fun line.


Looking down the North Sublette Couloir, perched and ready to pounce, the atomics take credit.


The gap/ saddle or notch between the north and south couliors.


The view up the north couloir, about a third of the way up.



Looking down on my lines and tracks as I climb back up the couloir.


A profile view, coming out of the couloir about two third of the way down.


Tally pretty excited about getting strapped into a snowboard for her first ride! Don't worry mom, we didn't leave the crib.




Looking up the couloir, to the notch, as I make the climb back up.


Finally, back on top, my skis, gear and I getty ready to have some lunch. The North Sublette Mountain Couloir turned out to be much, much better skiing than the south side. Oh well, it all goes down- and it looks really cool! Ha!


View of Ramshorn and Amoretti from Horse Creek

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home