Sunday, April 23, 2006

Jules Castle Couloir

Jules Castle Coulior
Jules Bowl, Brooks Lake Area, Shoshone NF, Absaroka Range

April 22nd, 2006

Me and the Skidoo on the way into Jules Bowl to find a couloir. Jules Castle Couloir is in the background. I'm guessing the "Castle" is on the left.


Around the first part of March this year some dudes I know went into Jules Bowl and busted some lines down this couloir. They had a snow machine, but I think they were mostly out for a hike that day. Sure looks like they got a good one in too. Beautiful country, lots to look at while skinning!


Here's where I started my hike from.

Not counting the 10 mile, 20-30 minute drive in and the five other runs I did in the area before I motored up into the bowl, it really took me less than an hour to climb this couloir and drop it. It's not a monster, but it's WAY fun... especially on a splitboard!


Starting up the JC couloir.



Looking down the coulior from about a third of the way up.



Getting closer to the top.





Almost to the "gap" or "notch". High tech couloir terminology. Ha!





Approaching the top, and looking down on my boot track from about the same spot.



Flying solo again today.




View from the top, looking down another couloir that drops down the other side (left) and looking down the coulior I just hiked up (right). You might be able to climb the left one, but you'd sure need some skinny skis to drop it. It's plenty steep too. Not much room for a parachute. Ha!


Bombs away!

Almost literally today, there was alot of sluff rippin' loose. It was nice not having to drop ice, but the heavy sluff made it hard to clobber consecutive turns in the gut. Mostly I had to drop to safe spots and wait for the sluff to pass, then drop to the next one. Still fun though!




Lines and tracks that didn't get sweeped by sluff.




All done!

Once out of the coulior and away from the sluff drainages, turn were candy. Yummy!



Looks like someone was playing in the moat.


Gotta give the Skidoo some credit. As easy as this access is, I forsee some 3 to 5 couloir days in this area next year. Not sure if conditions will allow many more trips this year.



One last look back at the JC couloir on my way out. What a great way to wrap up the snomosking season in the Absarokas!



Don't have a Skidoo? Maybe try dogsled. Or better yet...


Catsled


"Yahoo!" Tally coos. "Meouushhh! Meouushhh! Go cat go!"


2006 1000 kc Artic Cat Radio Flyer

The engine really purrs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home